Stumbled upon HTTPie, a command line HTTP client. It’s pretty awesome. Basically it’s Curl on steroids, as it has an easy interface and syntax highlighted output.
Here’s an example of a simple GET request to the Bacon Ipsum JSON service:
Of course you can do actual useful stuff as well, such as POST-ing, Authentication, Cookies, Custom Headers, etc.
As the repo says, the main features are:
- Expressive and intuitive syntax
- Formatted and colorized terminal output
- Built-in JSON support
- Forms and file uploads
- HTTPS, proxies, and authentication
- Arbitrary request data
- Custom headers
- Persistent sessions
- Wget-like downloads
- Python 2.6, 2.7 and 3.x support
- Linux, Mac OS X and Windows support
- Test coverage
I haven’t played with it much yet, but so far it seems like a rather useful little tool, worth checking out.
You can get it here